"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace
that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Ephesians 1:7-8

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Jumping in!

We're finally jumping in to our homeschool year! Ack! We were scheduled to start last week and after much deliberation, I decided to postpone our start for one week. I have to say, I felt so relieved by the decision and feel much better prepared this week.

Monday: School Orientation
Luke set out our "Smith Academy" t-shirts for everyone to wear, which was super sweet. Unfortunately, one of his brothers decided to surprise him during breakfast and tickle him. 
Of course, his bowl of cereal went flying and so did his milk - all over his shirt. Whoops!
That's how we roll over here. 

This was the first year I sat down and created a detailed mission statement, short term goals, long term goals and specific spiritual, developmental and character goals for each kid. I'm so glad I did! It was a great exercise for me. During orientation, we reviewed those goals. They were very receptive!

 I selected a family Bible verse with the help of our "principal." This is our theme for the year. 

Jesus replied: “’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and
with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and
greatest commandment. And the second is like it:

‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ Matthew 22:37-39

I taught them how to use our new Daily Notebook 
(more on that later) and they decorated the front page. 

Then we reviewed our school schedule, expectations and new curriculum. 
And we're off!

No comments:

Post a Comment