"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace
that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Ephesians 1:7-8

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer Reading

This summer, I am determined to keep the boys excited about reading. Luke reads chapter books silently every night before bed, but it is not typical for him to lay around devouring books like I did as a child. When it comes to reading out loud, he is not particularly thrilled. Ethan is a beginner reader and making great progress, but still needs a nudge to read aloud.

It has worked really well so far to set aside time every day after lunch and before rest time for each of them to read aloud to me. I'm trying to make it a habit so we don't even blink when I ask them to go pick a book.  I'm using these charts below to keep them going. I got them HERE.
They get a sticker every time they read out loud to someone (me, Darin, Aaron, or other adults). For Luke, he gets a sticker for reading a chapter out loud and Ethan gets one for an entire book. After they fill the chart they get a prize from the prize bin. I went to Michaels and Target and found little things for $1 or less. I strongly dislike little junky toys laying all around, so I tried to find things that weren't just junk. So far, so good. I've really enjoyed the time cozied up on the couch together reading. It's so good for me to be forced to slow down and just enjoy my sweet boys! Happy reading!  


No comments:

Post a Comment