"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace
that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Ephesians 1:7-8

Friday, December 23, 2011

75 days complete!!!

On Thursday (12/22) we completed day 75 of school! Even though most public school kids were on break this week, we decided to keep on working with a shortened schedule so that we'd have some structure to our days. I have to say, it was probably the most delightful week we've had so far. I mostly think God is at work in my heart, giving me extra patience with the boys and the ability to love them well. However, I also think that I was more relaxed because we didn't have as much to complete and that certainly affects how the boys behave. When I'm stressed and uptight, the boys are usually on edge. Darin called when he was traveling to check in and I'm not sure he believed me when I said day after day that we'd had a great day! Praise the Lord for a good school week.

On Monday, we had a fun home school Christmas party so we did a little work before going and a little work when we returned. (A very light school day!) Then the rest of the week we had a relaxed schedule of starting around 8:30ish and completing our work around 10:30, depending on when we started. We didn't have any art classes, Bible studies, or PE classes to rush to and that was just wonderful.  This week was an early Christmas present! A reminder that this is where God wants us now and encouragement that He can give me strength to love my boys even when I'm tired. (And I've been burning the midnight oil working on my sewing project!)

Here is what we worked on during our short days:
Luke - Bible, spelling, reading and reading comprehension, math, My Father's World United States study, and a little science too. (We omitted grammar, phonics and music this week since we're ahead in those topics.)
Ethan - Bible, phonics, math and reading aloud practice
Aaron - puzzles, duplos, magneatos, lincoln logs, and having fun!

So tomorrow starts our first official day of Christmas break and I'm praying that when we start up again in January we will all be rested and ready to start the second semester as well as we finished up the first. We read this passage Thursday during our Bible time. It's a passage that we've all read many times but oh how it pierced my heart this time around. We had some good discussions about it and I have some ideas of how I want to continue those discussions over our break. So thankful for what He is teaching me!!!

"And now I will show you the most excellent way. If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 


Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1 Corinthians 12:31b - 13: 1-7

1 comment:

  1. Jill, did you really post this at 3 a.m. that is beyond midnight oil. And I thought I was bad! I am SO glad school went well this week. Praise God that He gave you the strength and patience for such a good week. Merry Christmas. Hope to see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete