"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace
that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Ephesians 1:7-8

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Enjoying the Now

Last week I excitedly brainstormed a list of ten family Christmas traditions. Although I still have my list and much more I could blog about them, I'm afraid I'm going to stop blogging at tradition number four. (Which pains me more then you may know... it irks me to not finish what I have started!) Here is why I've decided to curtail blogging about our traditions:

Somehow I need to stop focusing on "doing" and learn how to focus on "being present."

I have become really aware over the last several weeks that there are some big disadvantages to being a "forward thinker. " Now don't get me wrong... this is how God made me and there are many blessings that come along with this character trait. I know that and I am thankful. However, when I am so focused on what comes next (what's next on my to-do list, what's next on our schedule, what laundry to put in next, what meal I need to prep next, etc.) then I forget to enjoy the NOW. I miss the quality moments I could be having with my boys. Without realizing it, I think I have often put aside quality time with my family because I'm too focused on being productive and getting things done. I get stuck in a pattern of always being in a hurry and can easily become a slave to my schedule at the expense of the special people around me. Maybe sometimes I just need to leave things undone and engage?

I'm pretty sure I'll always be a forward thinker and planner. Yet, I am praying that God will balance me and help me to not miss out on the little blessings in the here and now because I'm too busy. Somehow blogging about these traditions and focusing on all we are going to "do" this advent season has distracted me from sitting at the feet of my Savior.  I'm not even sure if this all makes sense... I just know that it's only December 6th and I feel this great need to put on the breaks, stop and take a deep breath. Do I dare throw away my to-do list?

So, I leave you with the lyrics of my favorite Christmas song. I've sung it for years so automatically, but it's so refreshing to stop and think about the lyrics. "He knows our need, our weakness is no stranger. Behold your King! Before him lowly bend!" 

O Holy Night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!
O night divine, the night when Christ was born;
O night, O Holy Night , O night divine!
O night, O Holy Night , O night divine!

Led by the light of faith serenely beaming,
With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand.
O'er the world a star is sweetly gleaming,
Now come the wisemen from out of the Orient land.
The King of kings lay thus lowly manger;
In all our trials born to be our friends.
He knows our need, our weakness is no stranger,
Behold your King! Before him lowly bend!
Behold your King! Before him lowly bend!

Truly He taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in his name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
With all our hearts we praise His holy name.
Christ is the Lord! Then ever, ever praise we,
His power and glory ever more proclaim!
His power and glory ever more proclaim!





No comments:

Post a Comment