"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace
that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Ephesians 1:7-8

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Taking time to "Smell the Roses"

In the past month as I've struggled as a homeschool mom and as a parent, the Lord has been gently reminding me to slow down and enjoy the now; to enjoy the precious moments He has given me! Whether it's been a blog post, daily devotional, scripture or a passing comment from a friend, it has been a recurring theme that has been nagging at me. I've been challenged greatly to LOOK for the delightful moments (in the midst of the bumpy times), to lessen the distractions, and to find ways to joyfully engage with my children.

Some "roses" I'm smelling today...
1) I delighted in a bike ride through the neighborhood with the boys. I especially enjoyed Aaron pedaling so fast on his bike with his mouth open and tongue curled in delight. He kept saying, "Awesome!"

2) Digging up earthworms and watching them wriggle in little hands.

3) Eating lunch together on the deck with a cool breeze and bright sunshine.

4) Eating spinach from our garden in my salad for lunch. yummy!

5) Pulling weeds in the yard while the boys pretended to be a lawn care crew. They used plant stakes to pretend to trim and weedwack the yard. All three were kept busy with this for 30+ minutes complete with "buzzing" noises and pretty realistic sound effects. Almost put me to sleep... almost. :)

6) Painting with the boys -- I don't usually enjoy this because of the clean up and the short attention span, but ever since art class they are inspired! I have delighted in their creativity today.

It's time to pull out our thankful journal and pick up where we left off. It's such a good thing for my heart to practice looking for these blessings from God!

No comments:

Post a Comment