"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace
that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Ephesians 1:7-8

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sheep to Shawl

This past weekend we attended an event at a local historic landmark. We've been in years past and it's been interesting, but this year I was more interested then ever! It's called "From Sheep to Shawl" and it takes place at a family farm. The farm depicted the 1860's with men sheering sheep, metal forging demo's, music, spinning wheels, looms, etc. 


We recently finished studying the United States in the 1860's in Luke's homeschool curriculum (Adventure's in My Father's World). We studied Abraham Lincoln, the Civil War (briefly- not in much depth), the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad and much more. Such perfect timing!


It was so cool to make the connection between what we were seeing and what we have studied. We just finished reading Mountain Born by Elizabeth Yates, which details the life of a shepherd family in the mid 1800's. We read about the sheep shearing season from the eyes of a young boy. We read about how they take the wool from the sheep and make it into clothing for Peter. How cool to see real life examples so soon after finishing our book. 


Even though we have been to this estate many times, we've never been on a tour of the family house. However, on Saturday we got to walk through the house and hear about how the family lived in that time period. It was so interesting to me to walk through this house built in 1810. The house I grew up in in New Jersey was built in 1820 and there were lots of similarities that I was able to appreciate in a new way. Can you tell I'm excited? This is definitely one part about homeschooling that I have enjoyed. I have learned a lot this year and honestly, Darin was so surprised by my enthusiasm for the history at this event. (I am NOT a history buff.) I am hoping my enthusiasm is contagious for my little learners. 

I am thankful for this fun outing with the boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment