"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace
that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Ephesians 1:7-8

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

One Thing

I spent this week studying Psalm 27 and then just finished discussing it with a group of lovely women this evening. I've been privileged to use West End Presbyterian Church's Wellspring Women's Bible Study this summer entitled, "The Psalms: A Hospitable House." So here is what I am processing from this evening...

"One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. " Psalm 27:4

In the verses leading up to this verse, David is recounting all the opposition he is facing and yet he is still focused on ONE THING... to dwell in the house of the Lord so that he may gaze on the beauty of the Lord and seek him in his temple. Wow! He's not asking the Lord to free him from his opposition or make life easy.  He desires to be inactively active in gazing at the Lord's face.  "You have said, 'Seek my face.' My heart says to you, "Your face, Lord do I seek." Psalm 27:8

We also listened to a lecture/discussion on Psalm 27 led by Kim Greene, so these words and thoughts are not all mine... but they are truly stirring my heart.  Oh how I desire to be gazing at the Lord all the days of my life. How much would that transform me? To be in that position of lowering myself and exalting the Lord in His glory day by day, moment by moment... even when things don't go how I plan, even when I am facing opposition. How much will it change how I am able to love my husband and children if I daily seek the Lord? Bringing me to repentance quickly...

God is pursuing me. He is asking me to seek His face. How refreshing!

This song popped into my head by a favorite Christian artist. It is referencing Psalm 73, but I think it applies here too. I'll share a few of the lyrics.

"My One Thing" by Rich Mullins
Everybody I know says they need just one thing
And what they really mean is 
They need just one thing more
And everybody seems to think
They got it coming
Well I know that I don't deserve You
Still I want to love and serve You
More and more
You're my one thing


Save me from those things 
That might distract me
Please take them away
and purify my heart
I don't want to lose the eternal for
The things that are passing
Cause what will I have
When the world is gone
If it isn't for the love
That goes on and on with


My one thing, You're my one thing
And the pure in heart shall see God
You're my one thing
You're my one thing
And the pure in heart shall see God


No comments:

Post a Comment