"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace
that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Ephesians 1:7-8

Friday, November 4, 2011

Orphan Sunday

Until this summer, I paid very little attention to orphans. I knew in my head that there were orphans all over the world, but I saw no reason to concern myself with them. I knew of people who had adopted, but I sort of had the attitude, “That’s great for them. That’s not for me.”


Then this summer, I got to spend a little time with a former neighbor who had adopted two little boys from Taiwan. They had already adopted one of the boys and then later learned he had a sibling, which they welcomed into their home as well. As I listened to her talk about their journey and read her blog, I was struck by her love for these boys that were not biologically hers. God began pricking my heart.

And God continued to work in me. I “met” several women this summer who adopted children for various reasons and from various places.  (infertility, God’s calling, stateside, internationally) I stumbled upon a couple blogs from some women sharing their adoption journey and I couldn’t pull myself away. I found myself captivated and very emotional. Praying for these families with a new compassion I never had before. I don't think it was accidental that I was confronted with adoption so much this summer.

This fall my husband and I were invited to join a Missional Community Group at church.  This particular groups mission is Orphan Care. Isn’t it funny how God works? He was already preparing my heart and I think He knew just where he wanted us. 

This Sunday is Orphan Sunday. Did you know that there are more than 143 million orphans worldwide? Our church is hosting an “Orphan’s Table.”  We will share an "Orphan's Breakfast."  While we have porridge and water (modeling what 143 million orphans around the world will also be served), we will hear from a panel of men and women who are involved in various aspects of orphan care. There will be a large resource table with multiple ways to get involved with orphan care. We will also spend time in prayer for the cause of the orphan. If you are local, would you consider coming Sunday to West End Presbyterian Church at 9am? Either way will you join me in praying for the many orphans who are in need of love?

"Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed." Psalm 82:3

No comments:

Post a Comment