"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace
that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Ephesians 1:7-8

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thankful Tree

In the midst of the craziness of life, I have really enjoyed continuing to add to our thankful book with the boys at meal times. I'm realizing that in the past when we asked them what they were thankful for, they had some standard answers. (God, Jesus, brothers, house, etc.) All really good things, but mostly quick answers so they didn't have to really stop and think. As we've spent more time reflecting on our blessings, they are noticing more and more things for which to be thankful and going just a bit deeper. (Plus it helps a little to distract from the mealtime shenanigans.)

Last year, I read this blog post and just had to copy the idea. I know a good idea when I see it! (Thanks Ali!)  I drew a tree on a large piece of paper and let the boys paint it. Then I cut out simple leaves in five different colors (one for each of us). The leaves look a little bit like colorful footballs but you get the idea ;} Each night we shared 1 or 2 things we were thankful for and taped it to the tree. In the end we had a beautiful fall tree full of blessings from God.

This year, I decided to recycle our tree. Darin had carefully packed it away so it was able to be re-used. I wasn't sure how it would work since we were already filling in our thankful book, but decided that we could never be too thankful. So, last night was our first night and already I see a difference in their thoughts. I had to restrain Luke from not using up every red leaf all in one night. Although in hindsight, I shouldn't have squelched his desire to be thankful. I better cut out more leaves!
This will definitely be our November tradition. 

1 comment:

  1. we just painted our thankful tree today. had the boys trace leaves from outside and cut them out. we are also hoping to get anyone that visits our home to participate as well. hope to see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete