"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace
that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Ephesians 1:7-8

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Exhilaration


My Myers Briggs results say that I am an introvert and it's true. I recharge by being alone. I'm not a fan of large group social settings. Small talk makes me nervous and anxious. I consider myself shy. Although I wouldn't enjoy being on an island alone indefinitely, several hours would be nice. However, I know God created me to be relational so I do feel lonely when my husband has been traveling a lot. I miss talking with him, but I also really enjoy my time alone.

So why is it that participating in the half marathon training team is so exciting for me? I literally got goose bumps of excitement and a major adrenaline rush this morning. There are about 950 people participating in the training team. People are everywhere running. And yet, this introvert finds it so much fun to be in the midst of it all. I have a hard time slowing myself down on Saturday's because I'm so excited. Maybe it's my competitive nature? I certainly don't strike up conversations. In fact today, I ran alongside a girl whose name I don't even know. Both of us listening to our music and not saying a word. Just settling into our pace and enjoying the run.

I'm so thankful my husband gives me this Saturday outing "alone" with all the other runners. I enjoy every minute of it: the prayer time while driving to the stadium, the hunt for a parking spot, the long run in unfamiliar neighborhoods, sweating and breathing deeply, and the quiet drive home in the car alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment