"In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace
that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Ephesians 1:7-8

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Powerful Book

In one week from tomorrow, Community Bible Study (CBS) will begin for the fall semester. I'm so excited! [To learn more about CBS, click here.] Last year was our first year participating in CBS and we loved it. I could go on and on . . . if you want more information about it, please ask.

I've been a believer for about 20 years, but I will honestly say that for the last several years my walk with the Lord was on shaky ground. I believed the truths of the Bible, it was important to me to attend church and be moral but I wasn't letting the spirit flow out of me. My heart was pretty hardened and I was reluctant to let the scriptural truths penetrate me. I could manufacture joy at times, but it wasn't true joy.

Then a series of events occurred that led me to brokenness, weakness and in need of Jesus. [the challenges of homeschooling, the sale of our house and search for another, a sad miscarriage, and some other events I'll not share here.] But God was at work!!! He did not forsake me or abandon me through the hard times and blessed me greatly in many of those experiences. He began a good work and He will not stop . . .

"being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Phillipians 1:6

Last year in CBS we studied the books of James, Colossians, 1 John and 1 & 2nd Peter. Somehow, God had softened me into a sponge (unlike the hard rock I was in previous years). Throughout the year I cried more, repented more and was filled with more joy than I had been in a while.

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Hebrews 4:12-13

God's word is perfect, trustworthy, right, radiant, pure, sure, altogether righteous, precious and sweet. (See Psalm 19)

God's word is active. It revives, makes us wise, gives joy, gives light, endures, and warns. (See Psalm 19)

God's word changes our soul, our heart, our eyes and our mind. (See Psalm 19)  It brings us to repentance and makes us more like Him.

As I study God's word this fall in CBS, I pray: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment